Logan Telephone Cooperative
The Logan Rural Telephone Co-op was incorporated in
1954. The Southern Continental Telephone Company was owned by a holding
company in Chicago and had permitted the facilities to run down. When they
applied for a rate increase with almost no improvement in service, The
Auburn Rotary Club appointed W. Gaston Coke to represent them and the town
of Auburn before the Public Service Commission and protest the increase.
J. Granville Clark, Russellville Attorney, was in charge of the legal
- With a successful case before the Public Service
Commission, and the open knowledge obtained in the hearing that there
could be no improvement in service under the existing set-up, Mr. Coke
began work to organize a rural Telephone Co-op.
- Three hard years of attempting to get sign-up paid
off with the incorporation in 1954 and a loan application to REA (Rural
Electrification Association). This was approved in late 1955 and the
Cooperative formally obtained title to the Southern Continental exchanges
in Auburn, Adairville and Lewisburg. The Dunmor Telephone Company was
purchased January 1, 1956.
- Mr. Marion Simpson was appointed manager and under
his direction the three dial exchanges were built and outside plant
facilities installed with the proceeds of the $743,000 REA loan. This
permitted 1026 dial telephones to serve the area instead of approximately
700 manual telephones and also permitted extended area service (free
service) among all the communities of Logan County. Service was limited to
8 parties on a rural line.
[Insert from the News-Democrat]
“Logan Telephone Co-Op
Certain; Manager Hired
Public Service Commission Approves Entire Plan and Rates
“doubting Thomases” who did not believe that the Logan County Rural
Telephone Co-op would not be a reality may now pull off their
“wait-and-see” clothes and get on the band wagon.
past few days, the Kentucky Public Service Commission has approved the
purchase of Southern Continental Telephone company properties at Auburn,
Adairville and Lewisburg, and Co-op officials have employed a manager.
taken during the week means that the Co-op will exercise its option before
December 31 to buy the Southern Continental properties, and will begin the
actual construction of the new modern county-wide dial system within a few
Gaston W. Coke, president of the Co-op, said that the organization may be
in business by the first of December.
Simpson, 44, of Hopkinsville, who has been with the Pennyrile Rural
Electric co-op for the past nine years, is the first manager of the Logan
offices for Simpson have been set up in the rear of Prather Price’s barber
shop in Auburn, and the new manager announced that he would soon begin
holding community meetings so that every family will have an opportunity
to get telephone service from the first day that the new dial system goes
native of Christian county, received his formal education at Crofton High
School. He was a refrigerator and air conditioner engineer at DuPont
plants for 12 years before going with the Pennyrile organization.
manager said he would not move his family to Logan County until after the
school year is out. The Simpson's have two girls, 18 and 11, and a son, 21.
The oldest girl is a senior at Hopkinsville.
Coke commented to the reporter that the ‘next big story you will have
about the new telephone system will be when we let the contract for
construction, which we hope will be sooner than many think.”
On June 1, 1957, - Grover A. Corum,
former assistant County Agricultural Extension Agent in Logan County and
Current County Agent of Boyd County, was appointed manager to succeed Mr.
Simpson, who had resigned.
- The Logan Rural Telephone Co-op was a dream come
true. Many people gave of their time and efforts to get it established.
- I winning their case before the Public Service
Commission, the Rotary Committee found out that it would be almost
impossible to get telephone service out into the rural areas around the
main towns of Logan County. The REA act had been amended in 1949 to
include telephones and this area was investigated by the Rotary Committee.
- Coke then interested the Logan County Extension
Office in the idea, and gained much aid from then – Associate County Agent
Grover Corum, who aided the committee in promoting the idea throughout the
rural section of the county.
- Other organizations virtually all civic and service
organizations, as well as farm organizations in the county joined in
backing the idea and working towards the establishment of a Co-op.
- The Telephone Division of the REA approved the
Co-op project for three-fourths of a million dollars, and in January of
1956 a check for $54,458.13 was paid by the Co-op to the Southern
Continental Telephone Company for the existing exchanges, right-of-ways,
privileges, franchises, permits, plant, facilities and equipment.
- The Co-op entered into a sales agreement with
Southern Continental in February of 1955, and a drive for subscriber
membership was started in March 7, 1955.
- The total cost for dial installation for
subscribers was set at $33.00 with each subscriber an equal shareholder in
- A $10.00 deposit was required, along with a $23.00
equity. When the membership drive started, every bank in Logan County
offered to loan the necessary $23.00 for equity to any subscriber who
needed such a loan for $1.00 interest in a year.
- The initial system was cut over to dial operation
on May 19, 1957 with 963 main stations and 63 extensions for a total of
1026 stations. Through continued growth, expansion and demand, the Co-op
grew to over 2300 members with 2720 telephones in operation by July 31,
On July 2, 1960, the Rochester Exchange
was added serving a portion of Butler and Muhlenberg County. In August,
1962, the Logansport area, another part of Butler County, was added.
- The Board of Directors realized in early 1963, that
the system was being overloaded and authorized a study of the calling
habits. This revealed that the rural 8-party lines were being used three
times more that they were designed for. This information was presented to
the membership in November and December of 1963 and the Board received
authorization to apply for an additional loan to upgrade service to 1 and
2 party in the base area and the 4 party in the rural areas. A loan of
$1,156,000 was approved by REA and the Kentucky Public Service commission.
Work began with the commitment for nearly one-half million dollars.
- Of particular interest in the growth of the Co-op
was its Commercial Department. Beginning with one clerk typist typing all
telephone numbers and amounts on each monthly bill and all monthly toll
tickets (3000 then) sorted by hand, the progress went to a small posting
machine. This, used with an addressograph, increased efficiency so that
when one girl resigned the two remaining could continue the load.
- The posting machine gave way in 1959 to a modern
hand operated accounting machine. Just as this was working very smoothly,
the state of Kentucky imposed the 3% sales tax on all toll tickets within
the state of Kentucky. Southern Bell adopted the mark-sense ticket and
mechanical billing as a necessity.
- The Logan County Rural Telephone Co-op was the
first telephone system in Kentucky to have maintained IBM billing in its
own office with its own personnel. Later the Co-op did custom work for a
neighboring telephone system.
November 23, 1964 – approved proposal
of Stromberg-Carlson to provide equipment for the Auburn Central Office
April 5, 1966 – Name to change: Logan
Telephone Cooperative, Incorporated.
- The Coop pays a property tax to city, county, and
school districts of Logan, Butler, Todd, Simpson, Muhlenberg, Warren and
Ohio counties of over $6,000 per year by 1965. The Coop had current assets
of $1,311,685.34 as of June 30, 1965.
- In July 1965, capital credits, (all savings over
the actual cost of operations) were distributed to the membership. This
amount was for 1963 - $7,878.07 and $9,187.12 for 1964, representing a
return of 4.0 and 4.4% of gross receipts being returned.
September 18, 1967 – Approval to
contract with Stromberg-Carlson for $46,549.00 for TPS addition and modify
the existing equipment to 1500 ohms.
1957–1967: Total stations 1,241 to
April 15, 1968 Approval to enter a
line extension contract with Edward Thomason for work in
September 8, 1968 – Direct Distance
Dialing in Auburn, Lewisburg and Dunmor; Adairville to be first quarter of
1969 and Logansport-Rochester to be in 1970.
June 21, 1971 – Outside plant loan of
$534,000 from REA approved.
April/May 1975 – Began billing for
Salem Telephone Company.
June 16, 1975 – Rate increase of
$1.00 residential and $2.00 business. Other miscellaneous charges adjusted
April 4, 1980 – Manager Corum resigned
as Cooperative Manager.
June 16, 1980 – Auburn outside plant
upgrade to buried cable completed.
October 21, 1980 – Board selected
George W. Arnold to be Manager of Cooperative.
October 21, 1980 – NTCA Insurance Plan
accepted by Board to replace Blue Cross-Blue Shield Insurance coverage.
February 1981 – Lewisburg Exchange cut
over to buried plant.
April 1, 1981 – Rate increase with
residential to $15.00 basic and business being $22.00 basic rates.
1982 – Purchased Neal Building next to
current business office.
June 21, 1982 – Adairville Exchange cut
over to buried plant.
September 13, 1982 – Logansport
Exchange cut over to buried plant.
November 18, 1982 – Rochester Exchange
cut over to buried plant.
December 1982 – Anaconda Plant cut over
with Logan Telephone Cooperative.
February 20, 1984 – T Carrier contract
approved for Adairville.
June 18, 1984 – Approval of Auburn,
Logansport and Rochester digital offices, Lewisburg as host office with
Dunmor as remote.
November 30, 1984 – Cut over date for
Auburn Central Office.
May 10, 1985 – Dunmor remote office
complete to be cut over July 17. Lewisburg office overhauled and modified
to accept remote. To be cut over July 19, 1985.
October 21, 1985 – All exchanges had
been cut over to digital service.
November 17, 1986 – Board gave
authorization to draw up contract for billing and collection with county
and to concur with South Central Bell Telephone Company tariff for 911
February 1, 1987 – Customer premise
equipment owned by subscriber. Maintenance Care Plan offered to
October 12, 1987 – Uniform System of
Accounts installed with software.
September 19, 1988 – Cellular Radio
filing in RSA #3. Five companies joining together, yet filing separately.
December 20, 1989 – Logan Telephone
Cooperative, Inc. won draw for wire line side of RSA ## Cellular. To be in
partnership with: Brandenburg Telephone Company, Lewisport/TDC Telephone
Company, North Central Telephone Cooperative, and South Central Rural
1990 – Central Office upgrades for
Equal Access in Adairville, Auburn, and Lewisburg. Adairville cut over
July 30, 1990 – Upon the announcement
of manager George W. Arnold to retire in March 1991, the Board selected
Joe Isenberg as replacement to Mr. Arnold as Manager.
November 19, 1990 – Signed contract
with Kelly & Wilmore for outside plant changes due to road moves on
March 1991 – George W. Arnold retired
as Manager from Logan Telephone Cooperative, Inc.
May 20, 1991 – Fiber Optic Cable
Lewisburg-Rochester routes and Auburn-Lewisburg routes completed and ready
for installation to be finished by 9-23-1991. Auburn-Warren County line
fiber optics began on 9-23-1991.
September 23, 1991 – Board approved
Strothman and Company to prepare Audit for the Cooperative in 1991.
October 23, 1991 – Conversion date
for Equal Access in all exchanges.
- Computer upgrades through the years following the
first billing operations went from IBM 402 accounting machine to IBM
System 32, System 34, System 36 and to latest IBM AS 400 installed in
- Logan Telephone Cooperative, Inc. is one of
thirteen smallest telephone companies in the state of Kentucky. These
companies have 117,245 access lines.
- Logan Telephone cooperative, Inc. is a service
orientated organization working with their customers to meet the
communication needs of the rural communities and also strives to make
available the most modern facilities.
- Six exchanges: Adairville, Auburn, Dunmor,
Lewisburg, Logansport, and Rochester are served by Logan Telephone
Cooperative, Inc. They have over 5,000 customers.
- One party service is available to all subscribers
with buried facilities in all exchanges. With updated central office
equipment, Logan Telephone Cooperative is able to offer to their
subscribers such features as: call waiting, short and long speed calling,
three way calling, and call forwarding. In the near future other features
will be offered: automatic call back, automatic recall, calling number
delivery, calling number delivery blocking, customer originated trace,
selective distinctive ringing/call waiting, selective call acceptance,
selective call forward, and selective call rejection. Billing for all
local and long distance service is done in house. There are at least
thirteen carriers available for long distance service.
November 1993 - Capital Credits
were refunded to the membership for the first time since 1965.
October 1995 - Dennis Wilkes was
appointed as General Manager by the Board of Directors.
December 1995 - Logan Telephone
Cooperative becomes the first Local Internet Access provider in the area.
Co-op employees started the helping Hand project to
help needy families at Christmas time.
1996 - The Telecommunications Act
of 1996 brought sweeping changes to the telecommunications industry. Many
of these changes would have far-reaching and long lasting implications to
the industry and to consumers.
- Began a $12 million upgrade through a loan from
the Rural Utilities Service to provide for future growth and high speed
May 1997 - Local calling between
Logansport and Rochester becomes a reality.
October 1997 - Expanded Area
Calling allows many customers to call surrounding areas for one flat
January 1998 - The Education
Scholarship Program was introduced to help local students further their
education after high school.
April 1998 - Logan Long Distance
begins service to Cooperative members.
October 1998 - Clint Quenzer is
appointed by the Board of Directors as General Manager.
May 1999 - Much of the 502 area
code is changed to 270.
June 1999 - Construction begins on
a new state-of t-the-art headquarters building.
January 2000 - Fears of the Y2K
catastrophe had companies across the nation scrambling to upgrade computer
June 2000 - The new headquarters
building is completed and opens for business.
July 2000 - More than 500 people
attended the open house at the new headquarters building.
November 2000 - The Cooperative
becomes an Authorized Agent of Bluegrass Cellular.
October 2001 - Logan Telephone
Cooperative’s high-speed Internet service, SpeedNet DSL becomes available
to customers who live within approximately three miles of a central
2001 - Total Operating
Revenue - $6,071,355
Margin Post-Tax $1,148.207
July 2002 - A new telemarketing law
goes into effect to create the Kentucky Telemarketing No-Call list for
December 2002 - Logan Telephone
cooperative becomes the first telephone company in Kentucky to offer DSL
to 100 percent of its customers, regardless of their location to the
2002 - Total Operating
Revenue - $7,879,777
Margin Post-Tax $2,536,122
April 2003 - Greg Hale was
appointed as General Manager by the Board of Directors to replace Clint
Quenzer who announced that he would retire on June 30, 2003.