One of the Oldest Businesses in Auburn
One of the oldest businesses in
Auburn was that of Aull & Company Druggists. It also had a
remarkable history in that it remained in the family for
The Aull business was established in
Auburn in April of 1885 by Dr. Thomas Aull, who came from Hartford, Ky.
These are two pictures taken in the late 1800s or early 1900s.
one of the first buildings in Auburn. It is located on
the corner of East Main Street/Spring Street. Aull &
Company moved to a new location directly across the
street at East Main Street/Pearl Street about 1905.
The original building of Aull & Company was replaced
by a new building which housed G. W. Davidson &
Company Banking. It was later the headquarters of
Logan Telephone Cooperative and is presently part of
Auburn City Hall.
another picture taking in the town square. On the
right is the Aull & Company original property. The
buildings in the centre of the picture is the building
which Aull & Company moved to circa 1905, which is
across Main Street. The building on the extreme left
was once the building used by the Bank of Auburn which
was organized in 1905. The Town Square became the
Standard Oil filling station and later was purchased
by the Auburn Branch US Bank.
Aull & CO's original location was on the corner of Main Street
and Spring Street.
In 1890 Dr. Thomas Aull sold to his father's (Dr. A. S. Aull) an
interest in the business. Dr. A. S. Aull was an old timer in business as he had
been in business in Sulphur Springs, Ohio County since 1865.
In the spring of 1900 Dr. Adolphus Johnson, a son-in-law of Dr.
A. S. Aull, moved to Auburn. He was married to Edna Aull, Dr. A. S. Aull's
daughter. Dr. Johnson bought out his brother-in-law's interest in the business.
Shortly after Dr. Johnson's arrival in Auburn, Aull & CO
purchased a site across the road and built a store at the corner of Pearl Street
an Main Street.
The Auburn Advocate -
Saturday, August 19, 1899:
Henry Aull, of Bowling Green, is filling his father's place
in the drug store, who is attending the convention at Lexington.
The Auburn Advocate -
February 15, 1907:
Dr. A. S. Aull was in Bowling Green last Friday and
Saturday, assisting his son, Dr. T. H. Aull, in moving his drug stock into
the old Potter Bank stand.